Thursday, July 31, 2014


No place to hide



















Mid winter and a cold studio has moved me to drawing on the dining room table.  Country life often feels isolated from any art scene, especially when observing the feast of art shows on the internet. 

I'm excited by what drawing has brought to the surface so far, it's directness and immediacy being the first unexpected discoveries. When you start with a blank piece of paper and pencil, immediately you're faced with, what is driving the work? There's no place to hide.  

My initial intent was to get more from tone than I had been getting in my paintings. I wasn't as good as I remembered and it took time to warm up. The decisions to be made couldn't be sidelined, no colour, no paint to distract. I find that the discoveries happen differently through this medium, not sure I can explain the why of that. It seems such a paradox to be in control, yet to also break into new space.

Thinking I was hibernating in the hills of Onewhero, posting my efforts to Facebook, I find my drawings on a curated art blog overseas, there amongst shots of sleek dealer galleries sits photos of my drawings on grubby studio walls.  

Below is the first work I have done since beginning drawing.

Note to self: paint studio walls


Touching Ground Lightly,  2014  Acrylic, aluminium 600 x 600 mm













3 comments:

  1. Hi Diane,

    I came across this artist pair that I think you might find interesting

    http://www.oacgallery.com/artists/view/kx2-ruth-avra-dana-kleinman/

    Sian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diane, I also live in the Hills of Onewhero..like to chat when convenient. Sue hull 02102532542

    ReplyDelete